Terms & Conditions
Updated: April 26, 2017
This policy describes how HelloSimplify treats your information, not how other organizations treat your information. If you are using HelloSimplify in a workplace or on a device or account issued to you by your employer or another organization, that company or organization likely has its own policies regarding storage, access, modification, deletion, and retention of communications and content which may apply to your use of HelloSimplify. Content that would otherwise be considered private to you may, in some cases, be accessible by the other members in the groups you are part of. Please check with your employer about the policies it has in place regarding your communications and related content on HelloSimplify.
Information we collect and receive
We collect different kinds of information. Some of it is personally identifiable and some is non-identifying or aggregated. Here are the types of information we collect or receive:
- Group information. When you create a group on HelloSimplify, we collect your email address or mobile-number or facebook-id, your group name, HelloSimplify domain (ex: your-group-name.hellosimplify.com), your user name that appears in your HelloSimplify group, and password.
- Account and profile information. The only information we require to create your HelloSimplify account is an email address and password. Alternatively, only your mobile-number or Facebook-id. Optional information you can enter into your profile includes information such as your first and last name, profile-photo, birthday, and your phone number. Any information you add to your profile is visible to other people in your groups as described on your profile management page.
- Billing information. If you purchase a premium version of HelloSimplify, our third party payment processors will collect and store your billing address and credit card information.
- Log data. When you use HelloSimplify, our servers automatically record information, including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you’re using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you visited before coming to HelloSimplify, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, and cookie data. Log data does not contain message content and is not routinely deleted.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you’re using HelloSimplify on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings.
- Geo-location information. Precise GPS from mobile devices is collected only with your permission. WiFi and IP addresses received from your browser or device may be used to determine approximate location.
- HelloSimplify usage information. This is information about which groups, people, features, content, and links you interact with within HelloSimplify and what integrations with related services you use.
- Communication content that you send and receive within HelloSimplify. This includes:
- The message content itself. This content can include messages, pictures, files and video among other types of files.
- When messages or files were sent and by whom, when or if they were seen by you, and where you received them (in a channel or direct message, for example).
- Information from partners or other 3rd parties. HelloSimplify may receive information from partners or others that we could use to make our own information better or more useful. This might be aggregate level information about which IP addresses go with which zip codes or it might be more specific information about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer to us, each time you visit our website. They are unique to your HelloSimplify account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your HelloSimplify account and personal information in order to remember that you are logged in and which group you are logged into. Other cookies are not tied to your HelloSimplify account but are unique and allow us to do site analytics and customization, among other similar things. If you access HelloSimplify through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable all cookies you may not be able to use HelloSimplify.
HelloSimplify sets and accesses our own cookies on our company-owned domains. In addition, we use 3rd parties like Google Analytics, Intercom, Squarespace and Mixpanel for website analytics. We do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
How we use your information
We use your information for the following:
- Providing the HelloSimplify service. We use information you provide to authenticate you and deliver message content to you and from you
- Understanding and improving our products. To make the product better we have to understand how users are using it. We have a fair bit of data about usage and we intend to use it many different ways to improve our products, including research. This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with usage data that is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer tied to a HelloSimplify user.
- Investigating and preventing bad stuff from happening. We work hard to keep HelloSimplify secure and to prevent abuse and fraud.
- Communicating with you
- Solving your problems and responding to your requests. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond to that request and address your problems or concerns.
- In-product communications. We may use the information you provide to contact you through HelloSimplify using in-product messaging tools. For example, if, after, a few weeks of using HelloSimplify we notice that your notification setting is set to notify you of all messages, we may send you a message that suggests you change this in case you are getting too many notifications. This is just one example of how we use information about your usage of the product to make suggestions to you.
- Email messages. We may send you service and administrative emails, such as when we notice that you are nearing a message or integration limit. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our services, our service offerings and important service related notices, such as changes to this policy or security and fraud notices. These messages are considered part of the service and you may not opt-out of them. In addition, we sometimes send emails to HelloSimplify users about new product features or other news about HelloSimplify. You can opt-out of these at any time.
When you use HelloSimplify, you share all information with other members of your group. Private information can be stored and kept private in HelloSimplify if you create a group with only you as a member. This allows you to have full control of your contents visibility to others.
The browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage. Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is shared with us. HelloSimplify does not control these choices, or default settings, which are offered by makers of your browser or mobile device.
You can export information stored in the list and document module. The information is sent as a zip file to your email address. HelloSimplify currently does not offer any options for message retention when using our chat. The calendar data is stored in iCloud for iOS users.
Sharing and Disclosure
There are times when communications and related content and other user information may be shared by HelloSimplify. This section discusses only how HelloSimplify may share user information. Organizations that use HelloSimplify may have their own policies for sharing and disclosure of information they can access through HelloSimplify. HelloSimplify may share information:
- With consent, to comply with legal process, or to protect HelloSimplify and our users. When we have your consent or if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or HelloSimplify; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues. If we receive a law enforcement or other third party request for information we will provide prior notice to the subject of the request where we are legally permitted to do so.
- We may share your email address, phone number or profile-picture and group name with your organization. If the email address under which you've registered your account belongs to or is controlled by an organization (to be clear, we’re not talking about free web-based email providers like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail) we may disclose that email address and associated group members names to that organization. Please do not use a work email address for our services unless you are authorized to do so, and are therefore comfortable with this kind of sharing.
- We may also share aggregated or de-identified information with our partners or others for business or research purposes. For example, we may tell a prospective HelloSimplify customer the average number of messages sent within a HelloSimplify group in a day or may partner with research firm or academics to explore interesting questions about workplace communications. Again, this policy is not intended to prohibit the disclosure and use of aggregated or de-identified data.
HelloSimplify takes reasonable steps to protect information you provide to us as part of your use of the HelloSimplify service from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps consider the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store and the current state of technology. When you enter sensitive information (such as sign-in credentials) we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no electronic or email transmission or digital storage mechanism is ever fully secure or error free.
HelloSimplify is not directed to children under 8.
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use HelloSimplify after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are material, we may provide more prominent notice or seek your consent to the new policy.